The Fire Chiefs’ Association of British Columbia (FCABC) is a non-profit organization that was formed in 1931 to provide a forum for the exchange of ideas and educational information relative to the Fire Service of British Columbia. The FCABC strives to improve the Fire and Life Safety in the province and reduce the loss of life and property from the devastating impact of fire.
The Fire Chiefs' Association of British Columbia shall be a source of information and education to its members and uphold their rights, it shall actively interface with both government and the public on issues relating to the Fire Service within the Province of British Columbia.
The Fire Chiefs' Association of British Columbia (FCABC) represents the BC fire service at all levels in its dealings with government and with the public. It is an advocate for the fire service, working with government and standards organizations to improve fire protection for citizens and visitors to British Columbia. The FCABC also functions as a unifying force, providing a forum for its members along with mentorship programs and educational forums to ensure they have appropriate training and support for their many roles.
The FCABC’s members are Fire Chiefs, other Chief Officers, and Regional Managers representing over 350 fire departments in British Columbia. Associate memberships are also available for those that support the Association, such as companies that provide trades and services to the fire service. Members are encouraged to participate on committees and serve as appointees or on the Executive Board. Members with specific knowledge or expertise in the various facets of protective services frequently step forward to help find solutions or alternative approaches to a variety of challenges and issues. The expertise of members is a valuable resource as the FCABC collaborates with government and organizations to address issues related to fire and life safety.
The Association’s purposes are:
- To promote the maintenance and improvement of the fire service throughout the Province of British Columbia.
- To provide a forum for the exchange of ideas, the development of resolutions, position papers, and other matters pertaining to the safety of life and property against risk by fire.
- To provide an annual educational forum known as the Annual Conference and BC Fire Expo.
- To function as a center for the provision of information relative to matters affecting the fire service within the Province of British Columbia.
- To create and promote a fraternal and friendly spirit amongst its members.
- To take an active role interfacing and influencing government and other associations for the purpose of improving the fire service in the Province of British Columbia.
The FCABC maintains a membership or working relationship with other provincial, national and international associations, including the:
- Alberta Fire Chiefs’ Association
- Union of British Columbia Municipalities
- Canadian Association of Fire Chiefs
- National Fire Protection Association
- International Association of Fire Chiefs
- BC Forest Service – Protection Branch
- Office of the BC Fire Commissioner
- Volunteer Firefighters Association of BC
- BC Fire Training Officers’ Association
- Fire Prevention Officers’ Association of BC
- BC Professional Fire Fighters Association
- Association of 911 Service Providers of BC